[hobbit] xymon ready to replace bb?

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Thu Mar 26 23:25:53 CET 2009

On Thursday 26 March 2009, J Sloan wrote:
> 2. alerting failover - we have redundant bb servers are set up, in
> pairs. each pair of bb servers monitors certain network segments, while
> only one of the pair is designated as the bbpager, i.e. only one of the
> pair sends out alerts. But, should the passive bbpager be unable to
> reach the normally active bbpager, failover kicks in, and the normally
> passive server begins sending out all alerts. Worst case, we have a
> split brain condition and get 2 copies of an alert, but in practice,
> that's only happened a handful of times since 2005.
For the failover, configure both servers to report to each other it's
situation.  Configure both servers to trigger a script when there is an
alert.  Except one of them is the master and is always sending out the alert.
The other (the slave one) first checks the status of the other server (a
simpel wget of the status page can be enough) and only sends out the alert if
this page is not green.

So, basically, both servers are triggering on the same alert, but the slave
server only sends out the alert if the primary server is not green.

Stef