500 internal server error from bb-rep.cgi when user agent is not WebKit-based

Wes Morgan wmorgan at publicinterestnetwork.org
Tue Mar 24 22:04:24 CET 2009

On Xymon 4.2.3, when you use a non-WebKit-based browser, you get a 500
internal server error from bb-rep.cgi. So Chrome and Safari work, but IE and
Firefox do not. In fact, if I have Safari spoof a Firefox user agent header,
then it suddenly starts getting the error too.
This appears to be related to the usemultipart check in bb-rep.c that looks
for "KHTML" in the useragent variable. It appears there is a bug that is
only triggered when usemultipart == 1. When I change the line that sets
usemultipart to 1 in bb-rep.c to usemultipart = 0; and then make clean;
make; make install, the reports start working in all browsers.

The Xymon server is running on Ubuntu 8.10 Server virtual machine
(hypervisor is also an Ubuntu 8.10 Server running KVM). `uname -a` gives
"Linux shire 2.6.27-7-server #1 SMP Fri Oct 24 07:37:55 UTC 2008 i686
GNU/Linux"

Wes

--
"Small acts of humanity amid the chaos of inhumanity provide hope. But small
acts are insufficient."

- Paul Rusesabagina, Rwandan and former hotel manager whose actions inspired
the movie Hotel Rwanda