[hobbit] ncv/splitncv question(s)

dOCtoR MADneSs doctor at makelofine.org
Wed Mar 4 22:51:57 CET 2009

Wally.nl a écrit :
> Thanks for your suggestions, I had already tried parts of them but so far
> none of them make me happy.
>
> I'm currently looking at the data/trend method described here:
> http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2007/06/msg00250.html
>
> It seems like an easy way to create the different RRDs, just need to
> figure out how to graph them but that's probably not too difficult.
>
> I'll first have to fix bbwincmd (data is send from a windoze box) because
> the stock version/source is useless (can't send the needed \n in the
> status/data commands). I'll get back if there's some progress to report.
>
> Wally.nl

> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

In my limited knowledges about hobbit and NCV module (i don't have any C
or system low level skills), you can get multiple files in formating
your test output like this :

your text
anything you want
lun0_input : value1
lun0_output : value2
lun1_input : value3
lun1_output : value4
NEW LINE CHARACTER

So you can define your hobbitserver.cvf as it :
SPLITNCV_lun="*:GAUGE" (or any other RRD data type)
GRAPHS="...,lun0,lun1,lun2..."

You'll have several RRD files, named like this :
lun,lun0_input.rrd
lun,lun0_ouput.rrd
lun,lun1_input.rrd
then you can define hobbitgraph.cfg as I did :
[lun]
         FNPATTERN lun,(.*).rrd
         TITLE LUNs IOS
         YAXIS IOS
         DEF:p at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:lambda:AVERAGE
         LINE2:p at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
         GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:LAST: \: %5.1lf (cur)
         GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
         GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
         GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n

You can define per lun graphs :

[lun0]
	FNPATTERN lun,lun0(.*).rrd
         TITLE LUN0 IOS
         YAXIS IOS
         DEF:p at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:lambda:AVERAGE
         LINE2:p at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
         GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:LAST: \: %5.1lf (cur)
         GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
         GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
         GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n

in bb-hosts, define :
IP.AD.DR.ESS hostname # TRENDS:*,lun0,lun1...

So, you'll have a global graph including all LUNs IOS, drawed when you
click lun test.
And you'll have several lun0, lun1 ... graphs drawed in trends.

If that's not the result you'd like, please be more specific (and don't
forget I'm french, so I suck in foreign langages)