[hobbit] Xymon crashing

DKDeckert at Hormel.com DKDeckert at Hormel.com
Mon Jun 29 17:11:26 CEST 2009

The test name isnt vmstat...its called cpu_util.    In the hobbitserver
page i set it up for an rrd graph "cpu_util=vmstat" so it gives the page a
graph

However we fixed the server crashing by bringing back a backup and
restoring the xymon server files...

Its working .

We are still getting in the var/log/xymon/rrd-status.log file a error that
i dont understand

"Too few lines (only 1 or 2) in vmstat report"

does this make any sense to you?

  From:       Larry Barber <lebarber at gmail.com>

  To:         hobbit at hswn.dk

  Date:       06/29/2009 10:06 AM

  Subject:    Re: [hobbit] Xymon crashing

Try calling the test something besides "vmstat", I suspect that you are
stepping on a built in test of that name.

Thanks,
Larry Barber

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 6:58 AM, <DKDeckert at hormel.com> wrote:

  I dont know if this will be related for the blog or not but i have to
  ask.

  Recently i put up a custom script in xymon that would use vmstat to
  monitor
  cpu utilization.

  All i did in the script was take a report tail it and 'awk'ed out what i
  wanted to read in and report it to xymon.

  For a graph i added cpu_util=vmstat"     in the hobbitserver.cfg file.

  Now in the /var/log/xymon/rrdstatus.log is reporting   "Too few lines
  (only
  1 or 2) in vmstat report"

  our server will have a kernal panic and shutdown every couple minutes.
  Now
  before this started we also updated the rrd daemon to the most recent
  version

  We are running xymon 4.2.2 on unix 2.6.X

  Does anyone have an idea of what could be going on.   I have had the
  reports going for a two weeks before this happened.  and now it just
  started.

  Thanks everyone

  Notice:
  This communication is an electronic communication within the meaning of
  the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. § 2510.  Its
  disclosure is strictly limited to the recipient(s) intended by the sender
  of this message.  This transmission and any attachments may contain
  proprietary, confidential, attorney-client privileged information and/or
  attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, any
  disclosure, copying, distribution, reliance on, or use of any of the
  information contained herein is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Please destroy the
  original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in
  any matter and confirm by return email.