[hobbit] bbmrtg.pl help

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Jun 19 17:16:56 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 16:25 +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:
> On Friday 19 June 2009 15:40:50 McDonald, Dan wrote:

> > > Have you considered using devmon for this instead?
> >
> > I've considered devmon in the past, but it doesn't meet my needs
> > because:
> > 1.  template system isn't as flexible as mrtg's
>
> I think there are a fair number of templates that show the opposite as well.

Well, that's the problem.  You need a template for each type of gear in
devmon.  So, my Cat 3750-48PS-E would need a different template than a
Cat 3750G-24PS-E, and every combination of stack would need yet another
template. Instead, I can write a generic template in mrtg to cover
pretty much anything that runs IOS - it's just perl, so I can query mibs
and optionally include sections as I see fit.  Ditto for UPS - I have 4
major flavors of UPS, just one template.

> Feel free to mention exactly what features are missing regarding templates.
>
> > 2.  no support for snmp v3
>
> Since there is no support in SNMP_Session for SNMPv3 ...
>
> I am considering switching to net-snmp's SNMP module instead.

Yes, I spliced in net_SNMP_Session as a "drop-in" replacement for
SNMP_Session in mrtg.  Took a couple of months, but I made it work.  I
had to design new syntax, and messed with much of the guts of mrtg.

> Of course, patches are welcome.

Of course.  But that's a whole new program for me to wrap my head around
and do deep-dive coding.  Not enough spare grey cells or contiguous
seconds to do that.

> You neglected to note any advantages devmon has over mrtg though ....

I've not been able to use it, because of no support for SNMP v3.  devmon
was first released after I had fixed mrtg.

But the main advantage is easier integration with xymon, although
bbmrtg.pl works fine if you patch it.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
www.austinenergy.com