Alternate view for Management

Harold J. Ballinger hballinger at heritage-healthcare.com
Tue Jul 14 18:17:21 CEST 2009

Our support staff likes having our monitoring system setup & organized by logical category/type. However, management is more interested in a view that is organized by business impact.

For example:

IT Top Level View-
  Hosted Services             Corporate Connectivity
  Corporate Servers         Corporate Desktops
  Remote Laptops       Facility Connectivity
  Facility Desktops

Management Top Level View-
  Email (Subpage containing all dependent hosts/services)
  HRMS (same as above)
 Sales CRM
 i.e. a listing for each "service" provided - possibly even maintained below subpages for each business unit

Management wants availability and impact by the specific service and business unit impacted (10,000 foot view showing all dependencies), while IT is interested in the detail of the cogs/gears that make it all work.

Do I just create a second listing for all of the hosts on a separate page structure? Would this generate twice as many network tests for the hosts that are listed duplicate times?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!