[hobbit] file monitoring permission problems

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 01:36:44 CET 2009

You would have oracle's cron to execute something like this regularly:

   #!/bin/sh
  md5sum /some/secure/oracle/path/filename > /var/tmp/filename.md5

Then have hobbit's cron run something like:

   #!/bin/sh
   $HOME/server/bin/bbcmd $HOME/server/ext/oracle-md5-checker.sh

You could use Hobbit's launcher, but I always found it easier to use cron to
spread scheduled jobs over time.

The oracle-md5-checker.sh script would start up with all the Hobbit
environment, grab the md5 checksum from the file, check it against the
proper value, then report red/green.  I think I would then have it delete
the md5 file - that might require parking the file somewhere other than
/var/tmp, which would be a good idea anyway...  Deleting the file means that
next time the hobbit script runs, it can validate that the oracle cron job
ran, rather than just blindly re-reading the same file.  That's probably
simpler than comparing the file-last-changed timestamp to realtime.

Ralph Mitchell