[hobbit] Remote hobbit server's ports & procs flapping Green/Clear on secondary BBDISPLAY

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Feb 17 17:44:57 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 08:20:32AM -0500, Bill Arlofski wrote:
> I have noticed that two tests on one remote server continually go green and
> then clear at the same time.   That is, just now at 08:03:08 procs shows that
> it when from CLEAR to GREEN, then at the same time when BACK from GREEN to
> CLEAR. This continues with every 5  minute cycle.

Check the BBDISP and BBDISPLAY settings in your hobbitserver.cfg. It
sounds as if you have BBDISP=0.0.0.0 and BBDISPLAYS="ip1 ip2" - that
causes hobbitd_client (the module analyzing client data) to send the
results to both of your Xymon servers, causing double updates for each
status. The reason the status is flapping between clear and green is
that your hobbit-clients.cfg is different on the two servers.

What happens is:

 - Client sends the client data to server1 and server2.
 - server1 passes the client data to the local hobbitd_client task.
 - server1's hobbitd_client analyses the data using the
   hobbit-clients.cfg found on server1. Then it generates status
   updates; these are sent to the servers listed in BBDISPLAYS,
   i.e. both server1 and server2.
 - server2 does exactly the same, and sends another set of
   status updates to both server1 and server2.

The solution is to make sure you have identical hobbit-clients.cfg
files on both servers, and to avoid updating everything twice you
should only list the local server in hobbitserver.cfg's BBDISP setting.
(But keep both servers in the hobbitclient.cfg's BBDISP / BBDISPLAYS
setting).