[hobbit] Distro

Joe Sloan joe at tmsusa.com
Tue Feb 3 22:59:14 CET 2009

Neil Franken wrote:

> Hi Guys
>

> I tested XyMon on Ubuntu 7.1 and it was not too difficult to install.
> We are now ready to deploy XyMon into production so I am looking at
> which Distribution XyMon is the easiest to install and maintain.
> Getting things to run on Ubuntu was not a major issue but if there is
> a easier distro I would like to use it for now.

Ubuntu did not make a release in January 07 (7.1?) - are you thinking of
the October 07 release (7.10)?

Compiling from source on any distro is not too hard, however we like to
use the package management system rather than having unmanaged tarballs
all over the place. That said, I've used hobbit packages on suse (and
had to tweak several things to get it working due to some weird little
redhat-isms in the build) and I've used the deb packages from the ubuntu
repo, which worked nicely out of the box.

Joe