dbcheck 1.21 vs xymon 4.2.3 (tablespace graphs)

Francesco Duranti fduranti at q8.it
Tue Dec 15 12:00:12 CET 2009

Hi Buchan,
In the latest hobbit_perl_client scripts I've changed the way some of the data for the disk stats are sent to hobbit (mostly for the netapp.pl script) so instead of continuing to change the default rrd disk collector of xymon I preferred to rollback the change in the disk collector and call a new function only for netapp/dbcheck script so that in future it will be less "intrusive" on other collector.
For this reason you need to patch the 4.2.3 with the new shipped patch.

Regarding your problem, can you check and eventually delete rrd files in the $HOME/data/rrd/$INSTANCE ?
After some minutes there should be new rrd files in that directory. Can you check if the TblSpace*.rrd files are created?

The only collector that changed from the 1.15 to the 1.21 version is the tblspace so that other collector should not have any problem.
Can you check that the patch to xymon 4.2.3 was applied correctly ?

I'll do some check in the afternoon or tomorrow morning with the 4.2.3 version and the hobbit_perl_client 1.21 (I've currently working on a new version on my test environment and part of it is also on my production so I need to recompile/reinstall with the old version to do some checks).

> -Does the RRD collector that ships with Xymon 4.2.3 support dbcheck 1.15 ?

Xymon 4.2.3 should include all the change needed for version 1.15.

> -If not, does the RRD collector patch for 4.2.3 shipped in 1.21 support
x86_64?

The patch support x86_64, I'm developing on a RHEL 5 x86_64.

I'm currently working on a new 1.22 version that will have some more change to the xymon source code to implement a better rrd collection mostly for netapp storage and will also implement dbcheck custom query graphs. After that I'm trying also to reorganize a bit the structure of the hobbit_perl_client (I think I should also rename it to xymon_perl_client) and to create also an "installer" and some man pages with a better documentation (that now is mostly in the example ini file).
I'm a bit slow in the development because I've some more things to do at work but I hope in a near future that those new patches will be integrated into the xymon source code directly.

Let me know if you have some more information regarding your problem.

Regards,
Francesco