[hobbit] hobbit.sh not stopping server correctly

j.sansford at ntlworld.com j.sansford at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 18 13:25:26 CEST 2009

Hi Buchan,

Apologies, I'll explain it in more detail. We are running on Solaris 10 and trying to configure Xymon as an SMF service (which essentially uses stop/start scripts). The stop script is basically:

kill -TERM `cat /export/home/hobbit/logs/hobbitlaunch.pid`

Where hobbitlaunch.pid is the PID of the hobbitlaunch process. When running this command we are left with many stray processes, not just a vmstat. For example:

/usr/local/bin/ssh -l root 10.6.6.6 sysstat -m -c1 290
sh -c (/usr/local/bin/ssh -l root 10.6.6.5 sysstat -x -c1 290 >/export/home/hob

Doing a bit more digging it seems these are related to an ext/netapp monitor perl script. Taking this out leaves less processes (although I don't want to leave it out forever so I'll have to do a bit of digging around to find out how to kill these gracefully) however because the iostats do not finish the SMF reports a failure rather than a disable when I try to stop the monitor. This means the SMF can't restart the bbserver if it ever crashes.