Weird disk alert with bad data

Martha McConaghy URMM at VM.MARIST.EDU
Tue Oct 28 17:54:58 CET 2008

We recently got the AIX client working with our Hobbit server.  I then
had to apply a patch to rrd/do_vmstat.c to fix a problem with rrd crashing
due to an uninitialized variable coming from the AIX client.  Despite that,
I'm still seeing a weird problem.  One of the other non-AIX clients will have
their disk check to to red alert.  When, I take a look at it, the disks are
fine.  However, the data being processed by rrd is off by a few characters
which seems to be what is causing the red alert to be generated.  It will last
for an hour or so, then will go green again and the problem will move to a
different non-AIX client.  When I remove the three AIX clients from bb-hosts,
the problem disappears.  So, it seems to be pretty clearly related to
the AIX client, though is affecting other alerts.

Any thoughts on what to do?  Have we stumbled onto another bug?

Martha