[hobbit] nagios vs hobbit

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Oct 17 15:42:08 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 15:05 +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:
> On Thursday 16 October 2008 15:26:55 Shawn Heisey wrote:
> > Geoff Steer wrote:
> > >  Every time I have to add a new monitor or get asked to graph something,
> > > I keep thinking 'This would be so much easier with hobbit!'
> >
> > At my job, we're using two primary tools for network monitoring - Hobbit
> > and OpenNMS.  Hobbit is primarily for system monitoring, and OpenNMS for
> > network monitoring.
>
> You mean for SNMP polling?
>
> <plug>Have you tried devmon</plug>

I would, if it supported snmp V3...

> > If I put enough work into OpenNMS, it would be able to replace Hobbit
> > and leave it in the dust, but I don't have any reason to spend the time.
>
> What features specifically would you use from OpenNMS (and aren't available
> with Hobbit+devmon?).

The main thing hobbit is missing is the mapping front-end.  Yes, I know
about bbmap (I wrote the integration of that for hobbit).  And I've
thought about porting weathermap to hobbit, but when you are network
centric, rather than client centric, you really need a connectivity
map...

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy