[hobbit] Release date, stability of 4.3 trunk

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Oct 9 07:51:54 CEST 2008

In <48ED49C2.8020801 at elyograg.org> Shawn Heisey <hobbit at elyograg.org> writes:

>I'm wondering whether there is any projected release date for version
>4.3.  Now that our benevolent dictator has returned, I hope there will
>be increased development towards making what's there release-worthy.

No date, but I am working towards it.

>I downloaded the newest trunk version of hobbitmon this morning, used
>the debian build directory to make packages, and installed it on a test
>server running debian etch.  As you probably know, it's got some bugs.
>Although I have some experience with C code, I'm not a programmer.  In
>recent years all my programming has been system administration scripts
>in Perl.

Bug reports are very welcome.

>There are tons of compiler warnings, at least with the compiler I'm
>using.  Presumably most of them are not true problems, the data types
>and code just need a little massaging to bring things in line.  Do you
>already know what's causing most of them and how to fix it, or would you
>like some help tracking them down?

>gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)

I know about the flurry of signed/unsigned warnings, and have no intention
of fixing those. I'll probably add a "-Wno-pointer-sign" option to the
Linux CFLAGS setting (and the other Makefile's that use gcc). You can't really
fix those, since the system header files won't let you do it correctly.