[hobbit] Load Averages

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 23:25:59 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 22:16, Gavin Leonard <gleonard at progrexion.com> wrote:
> I am getting pages from my hobbit server when some of my linux systems are
> hitting 15 on their load avg. does that equate to something worse than it
> sounds? Cause 15% load average on a linux system does not seem that bad? Or
> is it not a percentage?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_(computing)

The Load Average is the number of processes requiring processor time.
What it means depends on the number of processors - a load average of
6 is fine for a system with 8 processors, but not good news for one
with only a single processor.  Fifteen on an 8 processor box isn't
good news, but isn't the end of the world.  On a single processor box
it's a sign that you've got problems ;)

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor