Questions about centralised configuration of hobbit clients

oyvind.bjorge at telenor.com oyvind.bjorge at telenor.com
Wed Oct 8 10:15:10 CEST 2008

Hi all!

We are considering migrating from BigBrother to Hobbit. We have been very satisfied with BB, but after reading about hobbit, it seems like a big improvement.
Also it looks like BB is a dead end, so I hope for Hobbit to be the future, still being developed.
I have some questions relating too the centralised configuration of the clients.
How is this performed? I have read about how it is configured, but was wondering about how this is transferred to the client. Is it the same port that is used? Is this checked every time the test is running?
Is it possible to use this mechanism in ext-scripts, by adding more parameters to the centralised config-file? If so, how is this addressed from the ext-scripts?

I also have read something about possibility of upgrading clients from remote.
How is this performed? If this is pushed from the server, I guess it is needed with some opening from the server towards the client (not only from the client to the server as for BB). Or is the client checking for new updates on a regular basis?
Is this mechanism used also for distributing ext-scripts to clients?

In my BB installation today I have created my own system for distributing config-files and ext-scripts to client, for having a centralised handling of this. This is both the standard bb-config files and one separate file for my ext-scripts, and I created a website for editing these files so it would be easier for other users to edit this config and distributing the files.
If hobbit have built-in (or add-on) functionality for this, so that my solution for this would become obsolete, it would be great.

Hope for someone to clearify these questions for me, or guide me to information about this already written.

By the way, are there any good forums for discussing Hobbit? I have found a couple forums, but there has been very low activity on them (only a handful of questions, and now replies).

/Øyvind