[hobbit] Decommissioned servers page and other features.

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Oct 2 11:03:15 CEST 2008

In <A3D12FAD74FC8B46991703F40C182BAB0102BE73 at permls102.wde.woodside.com.au> "Everett, Vernon" <Vernon.Everett at woodside.com.au> writes:

>After decommissoning a server, how can we make the data and graphs availabl=
>e for a period of time through the Hobbit interface.
>The idea being that we can compare new server loads, performance and quirks=
> with the old, if we need to.
>(Keep in mind, the actual server will be long gone, we just want access to =
>the rrd graphs and history)
>I would like to create a subpage with decommissioned servers, have everythi=
>ng remain green, and have historic data viewable?

If you can live with them not being green, why don't you just disable
all tests on the server ? They'll show up blue, but you will still have
access to all historical data, graphs etc.

>Assuming the correctness of the following concept
>Server_Utilisation=3Df(CPU utilisation,memory usage)
>Where f() is not clearly defined yet, can we use hobbit to generate a repor=
>t of most utilised and least utilised servers?

You'd have to do some data extraction from the rrd files
(that's the only place historical performance data is stored),
and then apply your magical f() function to those data.

A slightly different approach is to use the "Metrics" report in Hobbit
and look at only the memory- and cpu-utilisation for a group of
hosts. It won't give you a report, but it may give you a hint of what
servers to look at.