[hobbit] Variable / continuous ping / network test (intervals)

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Nov 13 20:24:15 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 18:14 +0000, SebA wrote:
> Additionally (ideally):  I would like to know results of continuous
> pings.  Rather than just sending a few pings every x minutes and
> seeing the performance of those, it would be nice to have continuous,
> or at least pings that are continuous for the duration specifed in the
> new bb-hosts flag I have suggested above, e.g. at 5 or 10 second
> intervals (so as not to overload routers or links), and to report the
> results of these tests every x minutes (again, ideally, defined by the
> new tag I have suggested above).

I solve that particular problem by dumping all of my syslogs from all
routers into a common syslog server, then watch for routing protocol
state changes (EIGRP up or down).  When I see a change down, I send a
red message, and when I see an up, I send a green message.

It's a little more complicated than that, since I have to maintain state
for all of these tests over several years.  The module I wrote is
bb-eigrp, and it's on deadcat, but works fine with xymon

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy