Variable / continuous ping / network test (intervals)

SebA spa at syntec.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 19:14:23 CET 2008

I suppose a feature request for 4.3.0 (or 5.0) since I don't believe it
exists yet, is to have an flag in bb-hosts that tells bbnet how often to
test (or report tests for) each host.  Some tests, e.g. on the LAN, are fine
being tested every 5 minutes, but it would be good to know when
interconnects go down or suffer packet loss (a) more quickly, and (b) for
shorter periods not detected by the 5 minute test unless we were lucky to
test at the right time.  However, there's no need to test every single host
more frequently, which could slow down the time it takes for bbtest-net to
report.

Additionally (ideally):  I would like to know results of continuous pings.
Rather than just sending a few pings every x minutes and seeing the
performance of those, it would be nice to have continuous, or at least pings
that are continuous for the duration specifed in the new bb-hosts flag I
have suggested above, e.g. at 5 or 10 second intervals (so as not to
overload routers or links), and to report the results of these tests every x
minutes (again, ideally, defined by the new tag I have suggested above).

OK, the result here is more than 5 minutes, but e.g. this Linux ping command
sends a ping request every 5 seconds, supresses the output and quits after
60 seconds or so:

$ ping -i 5 -q -w 60 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
PING xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ping statistics ---
2360 packets transmitted, 2359 received, 0% packet loss, time 11795758ms

I imagine I can't use that ping command in the FPING environment variable
since there'd be concurrency issues.  But if there was a way of doing
something similar, we could really see what the performance on our links is.
(It doesn't like there is the equivalent to the -w ping option in fping,
although that can be approximated to a reasonable extent with -c or -C
(count) given a known -i (interval).)

Kind regards,

SebA

  _____