Vigilante releases (was: RRDs created, never updated)

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Nov 6 22:56:21 CET 2008

OK, I'm not the type who gets offended easily, but this did make my
blood pressure go up a bit:

In <BAY138-DS1620B45379321618FC0139F1F0 at phx.gbl> "T.J. Yang" <tj_yang at hotmail.com> writes:

>> Jon Boede wrote:
>
>>Out of random curiosity... why hasn't anybody applied the all in one =
>>patch and put a hobbit 4.2.1 or something up on SourceForge??

>done.

>1. 4.2.1 tar ball is here:
[snip]
>2. 4.2.1 Readme file.
[snip]

TJ, I hope You did this with the best of intentions. But I'm really
offended that You did it without at least telling me about it first.
My personal e-mail address is well known, and dropping me a mail
first would have been the polite thing to do. If You'd done that,
such a release could have been done quickly with my "official"
blessing.

Instead, You've made me angry and created a mess - there's now one
more place where some random version of Hobbit can be found. And on
top of it all You've given it the look of an official patch by
putting a "4.2.1" label on it.

All I'm asking for is that all of you *think* about what you do.
If you're frustrated about the next release not arriving, do
something to move it forward - i.e. grab the current source-trunk
from the Subversion archive, use it and send bug reports. Or
patches. Or write docs.

Henrik (in a rather frustrated mood)