[hobbit] iostat

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 15:06:35 CET 2008

Hi Vernon,

You need to write your own backend to process the metrics from iostat that
you are sending from you clients. This involves manually building a new rrd
file from within your code for every new row that you receive. The hobbit
NCV can not do this for you in the current production release.

I am pretty sure this is covered in the man pages somewhere from memory or
in Henrik's graphing overview perhaps.
Once you have your backend script ready to receive and process the data and
build your rrd's, you modify some of the options for hobbitd in your
hobbitlaunch.cfg file to call the script every time a message comes in. From
memory, every message that enters hobbit gets passed to it so you need to
write it so that it just processes your data and is well enough written so
you can add further custom tests on as needed.

Sorry to sound so vague as has been a while since doing this. It is all
covered in the documentation though.

Cheers

Phil

--