[hobbit] ghostlist

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Wed May 28 06:13:31 CEST 2008

Hi Henrik/Ralph,

On my system running 4.2 with all in one patch...

./server/bin/bb 10.1.50.4 ghostlist
bar|10.1.50.4|1211944491
ho|10.1.50.4|1211944491
hum|10.1.50.4|1211944491
zulu.XXXX.com.au|10.1.50.4|1211944491

So all the above is good....

Just to clarify, hosts bar, ho, hum and zulu are all sending a message to
hobbitd every five minutes. Only one test is being sent, this is a test
titled alerts. There is no cpu, memory or any other test being sent.

And just to confirm,
grep zulu ./server/etc/bb-hosts
returns nothing...

I then add the following line to bb-hosts

0.0.0.0 zulu.XXXX.com.au

grep zulu ./server/etc/bb-hosts now returns
0.0.0.0 zulu.XXXX.com.au

I now wait >10 minutes (only because I am trying to multi-task other
work)... The host appears on the bb.html page and I can see a yellow dot for
the test that is being sent every five minutes to trigger it as a ghost... I
can click on the dot and see the message, including an rrd graph of the data
received. So far so good...

I now run...

./server/bin/bb 10.1.50.4 hobbitdboard | grep zulu
zulu.XXXX.com.au|trends|green||0|0|0|0|0||0|
zulu.XXXX.com.au|info|green||0|0|0|0|0||0|
zulu.XXXX.com.au|conn|green|OrdAstLe|1211945995|1211946296|1211948096|0|0|
10.1.50.4|-1|green <!-- [flags:OrdAstLe] --> Wed May 28 11:44:55 2008 conn
ok
zulu.XXXX.com.au|alerts|yellow||1211945994|1211946295|1211948095|0|0|
10.1.50.4|82688|yellow Wed May 28 11:44:55 WST 2008

So from the above, I would assume that it would now no longer be listed as a
ghost...

Just to be sure, I will wait another >15 minutes....
And then...

./server/bin/bb 10.1.50.4 ghostlist
bar|10.1.50.4|1211946596
ho|10.1.50.4|1211946596
hum|10.1.50.4|1211946596
zulu.XXXX.com.au|10.1.50.4|1211945699

It is still there...

I give it another 10 minutes and then I restart hobbit

su - hobbit -c "/opt/hobbit/server/hobbit.sh restart"

wait 10 minutes...

And re-run

./server/bin/bb 10.1.50.4 ghostlist
bar|10.1.50.4|1211947632
ho|10.1.50.4|1211947632
hum|10.1.50.4|1211947632
zulu has gone...

This email is long enough, but if I now reverse the process and remove zulu
from the bb-hosts file, zulu will never become a ghost again until after the
next restart, even though hobbitdboard no longer shows it in its list.

Can I assume this is a bug/feature?

Cheers

Phil

--