[hobbit] Hobbitd_client on server is crashing

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Mar 29 07:43:12 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 02:12:49PM -0000, Ward, Martin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am running Hobbit 4.2.0 on a number of Sun servers and recently the
> hobbitd_client daemon has been crashing and leaving core files around.
[snip]
> #7  <signal handler called>
> #8  0x08063ef9 in get_ostype (osname=0x806c28d "") at misc.c:43
> #9  0x0805b320 in main (argc=1, argv=0x80464ac) at hobbitd_client.c:1766
[snip]
> The really bizarre thing is that it only crashes when one particular
> machine connects to it and sends data.

Weird, indeed. It looks like the client message from that particular
host is garbled in some way - specifically, the "osname" argument should
never be blank, it should be "sunos" or some other operating system
name.

Could you have a look at this client host ? Specifically, the client
data that it sends to Hobbit are in the
~hobbit/client/tmp/msg.HOSTNAME.txt file over on the client - it
would be interesting to know what the first few lines of that file
contain. It *should* read something like this:

client my,hostname,com.sunos sunos
[date]
Sat Mar 29 07:40:29 MET 2008
[uname]
SunOS my.hostname.com 5.8 Generic_117350-46 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2
[uptime]
  7:40am  up 197 day(s), 22:10,  0 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.16, 0.14