[hobbit] graphing questions

s_aiello at comcast.net s_aiello at comcast.net
Fri Mar 28 13:15:05 CET 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Phil Wild wrote:
> Hello hobbit users,
>
> Three items....
>
> We monitor the size of oracle tables in a similar way as the base disk
> monitoring is performed. We use a custom script at the back end to create
> the rrd's as new tablespaces appear (i.e. one tablespace per rrd)
>
> The tablespace sizes are graphed in a similar way to the disk graphs as
> well with the standard hobbit method of dividing the tables into smaller
> groups (I think it is 7) and charting them on one graph.
>
> The issue we have is that some tables are very small (say 100MB and some
> are large 30GBytes). When these are plotted on the same graph, the plots
> for the small tables are of little value as they look like zero...
>
> I assume the only way to address this would be to plot each table
> individually. Anyone have any ideas how I can force this?

Well you could do as the disk trends graphs, graphing by percent used.
Percents won't help you with your other 2 questions, since with them I would
assume you would want the amount used. You could have 2 data stats in your
RRDs %Used & Used. Then define different graphs to used each stat for the
different purposes.

As to your other 2 questions, I have no past experience to pull from for this.
I would think it is possible, would just need to figure out the dynamics to
do this within rrdtool, then apply that to hobbit's graph definition.

 ~Steve