FW: [hobbit] tooltips, current snapshot 15-Jan-08

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Mar 28 07:36:11 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 04:57:19PM +0100, Dirk Kastens wrote:
> But, unfortunately, the problem with wrong msgs, ports, and files still
> persists. [...] the output is totally messed and contains messages from
> other hosts. Hobbit also suddenly complains that no port checks were
> defined, although the host never checked for ports.

I seem to recall that your first report mentioned that this started
happening when you started using the BBWin client in centralized mode ?

A quick test for this would be to simply delete line 1920 of
hobbitd/hobbitd_client.c (in the current snapshot) - the one that calls
the bbwin parser:

	handle_win32_bbwin_client(hostname, clientclass, ......

If rebuilding hobbitd_client without that function makes the issue
disappear, then that is where I should look.

Another thing you could try for me, please: Run the hobbitd_client
module through the Valgrind memory checker - this is only possible
if your Hobbit server is Intel-based, though. Some linux distros include
the "valgrind" package, but if not then you can download it from
valgrind.org

With valgrind installed, change hobbitlaunch.cfg (the [clientdata]
section), so the CMD setting becomes
	CMD hobbitd_channel --channel=client --log=$BBSERVERLOGS/clientdata.log \
		valgrind --log-file=/tmp/hclient.log hobbitd_client
i.e. insert the "valgrind --log-file..." stuff right before
hobbitd_client.

When hobbitd_client now runs, valgrind will log memory access problems
to a /tmp/hclient.log.PID file. It would be interesting to see if
it catches anything.