[hobbit] Alert Script page.log contains many: Argument list too long

s_aiello at comcast.net s_aiello at comcast.net
Thu Mar 27 00:52:47 CET 2008

On Wednesday 26 March 2008, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I was implementing a new alert script. After doing so I was checking my
> > logs to make sure all was well. I noticed the server/logs/page.log had
> > many: "Could not launch paging script /hobbit/script.sh: Argument list
> > too long".
>
> [...]
>
> > there's a lot more to it than that, but the point is that there is a
> > 128K buffer which is the only thing "held" from the parent process to
> > the child. the "Argument list too long" error message is actually the
> > kernel's E2BIG error code, returned when the execve() is not able to
> > fit the supplied argument list and environment into the 128K buffer.
>
> This was discussed recently. See
> http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2008/01/msg00015.html

Ha...  Maybe if I used the correct google parameters I would of seen that
article. To search the archives I used:
"Argument list too long" site:hobbitmon.com

I should of been using:
"Argument list too long" site:hswn.dk

And I had been so proud of myself in digging into that issue. Sorry for
flooding the list with such a long winded email ;)

 ~Steve