[hobbit] Bug latest snapshot, hobbitd_client

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Mar 19 09:08:01 CET 2008

Seems several of your Hobbit programs are dumping core. These three
cores are probably not from the same program, since they are so
different in size:

> -rw-------  1 hobbit hobbit  5210112 Mar 19 00:23 tmp/core.21600
> -rw-------  1 hobbit hobbit  4038656 Mar 19 00:27 tmp/core.21602
> -rw-------  1 hobbit hobbit 49213440 Mar 19 00:31 tmp/core.21520

I'd suspect that .21520 core was from hobbitd, the timestamp matches
the log-file entry indicating that hobbitd has crashed.

Before doing anything else, please re-build Hobbit - and run a "make
clean" before doing the "make; make install". If the problem persists
after that, I would like to see the gdb backtrace from the different
programs that crash.

> I am not sure I should post my gdb back trace here, but it has been
> dumping core for at least a week perhaps longer with different daily
> snapshots.  We use the same configs on a much older snapshot with no
> problems.  I am not sure of the date of the stable snapshot

The best way is to extract the version-numbers from each of the
source files like this:

$ strings ~hobbit/server/bin/hobbitd|grep \$Id:
$Id: hobbitd.c,v 1.279 2008/03/02 12:49:40 henrik Exp henrik $
$Id: hobbitd_buffer.c,v 1.10 2008/01/03 10:08:13 henrik Exp $
...lots more lines...