[hobbit] ncv graphing issue with custom script.

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Mar 13 08:59:00 CET 2008

On Wednesday 12 March 2008 21:03:15 Jeff Vandervelden wrote:
> Hello all, wondering if anyone can help with a graphing issue I am
> having... i have a requirement to monitor some unc shares

You mean SMB/CIFS ? (UNC supports many protocols, unfortunately ...).

> from some windows
> boxes. i created a script to map each share, get the % free and report this
> back to hobbit.

By map, do you mean mount ? It might be easier to
use 'smbclient //server/share/ -c du' ?

BTW, is there a reason you aren't using BBWin on the servers themselves?
Specifically, I wonder about the impact of quotas etc.

> script works fine but the graphing is giving me problems.
> the script will send this to hobbit:
>
> green 3/30/2030 2:54:19 PM
>
> Percent full status of shares that were checked:
>

> \\<someserver1>\<some_share3> : 23
> \\<someserver2>\<some_share4> : 0
> etc : etc
> etc : etc
>
> i guess my question is this type of data suitable for ncv graphing
> considering that the amount of shares to check can be 10 or 20. my problem
> is that the "name" portion of the ncv is always changing... i did get
> graphing to work but the service section in the hobbitgraph.cfg had to have
> each share entered individually...

Yes, NCV isn't really convenient for something like this. It may be better to
have your script send reports for 'disk', formatted the way the Hobbit
clients send it. Then you would also be able to use thresholds on the Hobbit
side.