[hobbit] Waiting longer than one polling failure to alert

Oliver Grube oliver_grube at campbellsoup.com
Mon Mar 10 20:53:02 CET 2008

Hi Mark,

see the man page:

 "DURATI Rule matching an alert if the event has lasted longer/shorter
 ON      than the given duration. E.g. DURATION>10m (lasted longer than 10
         minutes) or DURATION<2h (only sends alerts the first 2 hours).
         Unless explicitly stated, this is in minutes - you can use 'm',
         'h', 'd' for 'minutes', 'hours' and 'days' respectively.

"
You can configure your alerts only being triggered after a period of
time...

eg:
HOST=* EXHOST=%(acp.*) EXSERVICE=msgs,cpu
      MAIL $helpdesk DURATION>2 REPEAT=60 UNMATCHED COLOR=red FORMAT=plain
      MAIL $security DURATION>60 REPEAT=600 COLOR=red UNMATCHED
FORMAT=plain
      MAIL $manager DURATION>120 REPEAT=600 RECOVERED COLOR=red
FORMAT=plain

As you can see in the example, we use this to trigger the escalation
process...

Hope this helps!

mit freundlichen Grüßen - Best regards
Hälsningar - Met vriendelijke groeten
Sincères salutations

Oliver Grube
EU Security&Controls Manager

             "Mark Stoltzfus"
             <mark.stoltzfus at p
             migroup.com>                                               To
                                       <hobbit at hswn.dk>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         [hobbit] Waiting longer than one
              hobbit at hswn.dk           polling failure to alert

     My apologies if this is covered in the docs or in past discussions, my
google-fu hasn’t come through for me on this one.  We’re running 4.1.2p1,
and we have several troublesome hosts that, for whatever reason, are
constantly experiencing periodic disconnects with the hobbit server.  I’m
not too concerned about the disconnects (we have some new firewalls that
are probably to blame, and by all other indications, the hosts and services
are fine), but we’re constantly getting alerts.  Is there any way to make
hobbit alert on a host or service, only after it’s failed two or three
times in a row?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Campbell’s Germany GmbH
Registergericht Luebeck • Reg. Nr. HRB 4082
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Joseph B. Folds III

Geschaeftssitz:
Geniner Strasse 88 - 100
23560   Luebeck
Deutschland

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain
confidential information and is intended solely for use by
the individual to whom it is addressed.  If you received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender, do not
disclose its contents to others and delete it from your
system.