[hobbit] Question about Linux Memory alert

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jun 26 17:51:32 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 09:18:29AM -0500, Taylor Lewick wrote:
> Hi all.  I've setup the hobbit-clients.cfg with the following for memory
> for our linux servers...
>
> PAGE=NY/NY-Linux
> MEMPHYS 100 101
> MEMSWAP 60 80
> MEMACT  90 95
>
> But today we started receiving alerts on a host that the physical memory
> is 99%.  The actual memory is only 10% used, so my question is why am I
> getting alerts on this host.

Two possibilities:

1) This server uses another client (the Big Brother client), or it is
   running the Hobbit client in local-configuration mode so You need
   to change the config out on the server itself;

2) The server is on a different page than NY/NY-Linux. Try running
   "bbcmd hobbitd_client --test", enter the hostname, no hosttype,
   and "mem" for the test type to see how Hobbit determines your
   config setup.