Getting bbwin central config mode on Debian Etch

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Thu Jun 5 23:38:27 CEST 2008

Background information:  We have an install of Big Brother BTF, an
install I inherited when I took the job a few years ago.  Recently I
discovered the unfortunate fact that we're not covered by the BTF
license, so we are exploring other options.  Hobbit seems to be our best
option.

I am using another server to build up a Hobbit configuration.  I
installed it from the source tarball because I couldn't get the bbwin
central config patch to apply against the debian source package.

I started looking into the Hobbit 4.3 snapshots, but I haven't been able
to get them to build using 'debian/rules binary'.  Just a few minutes
ago I got an idea.  I unpacked the pristine 4.2.0 source, applied the
allinone patch, applied the bbwin patch, and then ran 'debian/rules
binary'.  This successfully built packages.

First question - will these packages built from patched 4.2.0 work
properly?  Second question - anything I can do to get the Hobbit 4.3
snapshot (2008/06/05) to build?  Error output from my attempt to build
debian packages below:

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DLINUX -I. -I/usr/src/hobbit/snapshot/include
-I/usr/include -I./c-ares -c -o dns.o dns.c
In file included from /usr/src/hobbit/snapshot/include/libbbgen.h:76,
                 from dns.c:24:
/usr/src/hobbit/snapshot/include/../lib/sendmsg.h:36: error:
redeclaration of enumerator âns_c_noneâ
/usr/include/arpa/nameser.h:325: error: previous definition of
âns_c_noneâ was here
make[2]: *** [dns.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/hobbit/snapshot/bbnet'
make[1]: *** [bbnet-build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/hobbit/snapshot'
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2