[hobbit] Graphs missing titles and data points

Moby moby at mobsternet.com
Thu Jun 5 21:05:05 CEST 2008

Ralph Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Moby <moby at mobsternet.com
> <mailto:moby at mobsternet.com>> wrote:
>
>     I am running three different Hobbit servers at three different
>     sites and all work great except one.
>     On the one not running great, I see everything fine except that
>     all graphs are missing titles and lables along grid lines.  Other
>     than this missing text on the graphs, the graphs show the data fine.
>     For the life of me I cannot figure out the difference between this
>     misbehaving installation of Hobbit and the other two that are
>     working great.  Could anyone offer any hints as to where to look?
>

> If it's only text missing, you might want to check that the server has
> the same fonts installed as on the other two servers.
>
> You could also try manually generating the graphs and see if rrdtool
> complains about anything.  For example, I have Hobbit on a Gentoo
> server called lorien, so I can generate the cpu load graph manually
> like this:
>
>      rrdtool graph /var/www/localhost/htdocs/la.png \
>          "DEF:avg=/home/hobbit/data/rrd/lorien/la.rrd:la:AVERAGE" \
>          "CDEF:la=avg,100,/" \
>          "AREA:la#00CC00:CPU Load Average"
>
> rrdtool responds with   "481x168"  which is the pixel size of the
> image generated.  I can then load that image in a browser at
> http://localhost/la.png.  The DEF, CDEF & AREA lines come from the
> server/etc/hobbitgraph.cfg file.
>
> Ralph Mitchell

Many thanks Ralph, running rrdtool like you mention showed it barfing
about a missing dejavu font.  After installing the dejavu fonts package,
it works perfectly.  Thanks again,

--
--Moby

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.  -- Benjamin Franklin