[hobbit] Windows Cluster Monitoring Advice

Etienne Grignon etienne.grignon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 23:21:05 CEST 2008

Hello Padraig,

2008/6/3 Lennon, Padraig <Padraig.Lennon at pioneerinvestments.com>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a requirement to monitor some 2 node Windows 2003 File Clusters . I
> would like to monitor them with BBWin but I have the following questions:
>

> Should I install the bbwin client on both nodes and activate only one of the
> nodes for monitoring? With this setup I miss monitoring the local C/D drives
> on each node.
> Is it possible to make bbwin a clustered application? (i.e. one that would
> failover using the MS clustering mechanism)
> The cluster.exe supplied with the bbwin package only shows the cluster
> groups, not the individual items within the groups. Has anyone written any
> extended cluster checks that they would possibly share with me? If not I can
> write my own. I'm sure I can get this information with WMI.
>
> At the moment I setup the bbwin client on one of the nodes and then change
> the registry entry to use the cluster name (i.e I install on a node
> fileclus1n1 and change the registry key to fileclus1). Is this the correct
> way to setup the monitoring? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I realise the question should probably be on the BBWIN mailing list, but I
> thought I would have more chance of getting a reply on this list.

This is how I monitor MSCS clusters. I install BBWin on both nodes. I
also install the cluster.exe external to be run on both nodes.

The cluster.exe external will check that every resource of the MSCS
cluster is online. If the node switch to the other node, you will get
an alarm on it until you acknowledge the alarm by deleting a temporary
file on each node.

I hope it will be enough for you.

Etienne GRIGNON