[hobbit] Future of Hobbit - Getting added to distro repos

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Wed Jan 30 22:53:39 CET 2008

Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 01:18:56PM -0700, Charles Jones wrote:
>
>> I am going to attempt to drive getting Hobbit added to the Centos Plus
>> repository, but first we need to figure out a few things:
>>
>> 1. Who will create and maintain the RPMs
>>    I'd rather someone with experience creating and maintaining distribution
>> packages do this, but if all else fails I will volunteer.
>>

> One reason why I hesitate to contact the various distributions is that I
> don't know what their normal practice is for package maintainers. Some
> - like Red Hat - have their own team, others depend on volunteers. And
> some just pick up one of their distribution brethren.

Same problem here. Apparently though I am told that one of the persons
involved in managing CentOS Plus is a member of our local LUG. I intend
to get some information from him and perhaps his help on getting the
packages we need included.

>>   * librrdtool is not provided in the RHEL or CentOS/CentOS Plus repository
>> (so even if you had a Hobbit RPM, you would have to go and get 3 rrdtool
>> packages (rrdtool, rrdtool-devel, and perl-rrdtool) from the DAG
>> repository.
>>

> Major issue. rrdtool is used by a lot of software packages.

Agreed. It is available via third party repos, but that creates extra
steps to successfully install Hobbit. If they will accept Hobbit perhaps
they will accept rrdtool as well.

>> 3. Figuring out what would be the most common/preferred/accepted
>> installation dirs for Hobbit. Last week I installed the FC5 rpm, and it
>> installed to /etc/hobbit, whereas the tarball by default installs to a
>> subdirectory of /home. Some people like system tools to be in a "system"
>> directory, while others like being able to install to a user space
>> controlled location.
>>

> There is actually a standard for this: The Linux Filesystem Hierarchy
> Standard (FHS). The packaging scripts that come with Hobbit tries to
> follow it.
>
> One of the things that FHS/LSB dictates is that you do not EVER install
> software in /home or /usr/local . Architecture dependant binaries go in
> /usr, configuration files in /etc, logs in /var/log, data files in /var
> and so on. Wikipedia has a brief overview of this in
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

Hmm everytime I have installed Hobbit from source, it asks what user
Hobbit will run as, and then defaults to installing in /home/user.
Here is the basic dir layout you get from FC5 rpm install:
/etc/hobbit/bb-hosts
/etc/hobbit/web
/usr/bin/bb
/usr/lib/hobbit/cgi-bin