[hobbit] Future of Hobbit

Tim Rotunda tim.rotunda at twcable.com
Fri Jan 25 18:40:37 CET 2008

On 1/25/08 10:20 AM, "Henrik Stoerner" <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 08:18:54AM -0600, Tim Rotunda wrote:
>> Maybe a silly question, but how many people are developing the core hobbit?
>
> One - me.
Is this by choice or just no one has offered to contribute?

>> Also, has anyone "released" a hobbit central?
>
> Don't think so ...
To answer Axel's what is it question.....its a Hobbit version of BB-Central,
which runs on a central server like hobbit does.  It reaches out to the
clients via ssh (or whatever) and collects data.  I did a shell script
version a few years ago and it worked good until the client count topped
25-30.  Then I migrated it to C and it would handle 60+ nodes pretty well.
Then I migrated that to a multi-threaded C process and it really smoked.  I
never did reach the limit with that version.  I think they are still using
it and adding nodes to the client list, which is prob over 250 or so.

I was going to put it out to the community but my company would not allow it
(idiots) so I couldn't.  I now work only 40 hours a week so now I have some
time to myself and was thinking about rewriting it from memory and putting
it out there.  I would put out the one that is threaded and it would prob
just be for x86 Linux, which should build on Solaris, HP-UX, etc.

> Henrik

> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner
Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential,
or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this
E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents
of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any
copy of this E-mail and any printout.