Tracking Users -- Ideas

James Wade jkwade at futurefrontiers.com
Thu Jan 24 17:52:35 CET 2008

Hello All,

I'd like to be able to graph the number of users

connecting to a web-site. I was wondering if any one

had any good ideas or if something had already been

written.

Basically, I want to track the number of users connecting

to a web-site by looking at the log-file, and I'd like to graph

it.

The log-file looks like this:

192.168.0.22 - user07 [20/Aug/2007:08:49:49 -0500] "GET /htdocs/info/wd.html

So, it shows all the web pages the user accesses. What I really want to know

is how many users are currently connecting through to the web-site.

I could cat the log file out every minute, grab the username, do a sort
unique

based on the IP address and Username, then do a count, and graph it. But

I don't know that it would be very accurate. The logfile rotates every 2mb,

so I'd have to do a grep of all the files based on date and time, then do

a sort on IP address and Username.

I also want to put some checks in, for example, same username with

more than one IP address, reverse lookup of the IP based on location,

ie..our users should only be in the U.S., and not somewhere else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.James