[hobbit] Greetings and a question...

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jan 23 22:14:25 CET 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 11:16:20AM -0800, Benjamin P. August wrote:
> Is anyone out there running dbcheck.pl and had this error:
>
> "Wed Jan 23 10:21:40 2008:ERROR on sid_name: Timeout connecting to
> DBI:Oracle:sid_name!"
>
> I know it isn't a network problem because the hobbit user can connect using
> sqlplus just fine and the oratns check is OK. The required Perl modules
> installed OK... I think.

I don't think I've seen this particular problem, but occasionally
dbcheck.pl will just lock up and hang while doing some of the tests.
I haven't been bothered enough to figure out exactly why - the idea of
diving into Perl, the DBI modules, potential network issues and the
wonders of an oracle DB all at once hasn't really appealed to me :-)
So I just modified hobbitlaunch to kill tasks that run for too long.

PS: Please use a subject-line that is just a tad more informative.
People do use the mail archive, so it would be useful if there
was a mention of "dbcheck" in the subject. I don't mean to single out
Benjamin in particular - this is really a request to everyone on the
list.

It also raises the probability that you'll have more responses to your
questions.