Integrating Hobbit with Ticketing system(s) / Feature Request

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Mon Jan 14 18:05:24 CET 2008

Some time ago (years actually), I integrated Big Brother with "Request
Tracker", which is a popular open source helpdesk ticketing system. This
was done by CCing hobbit alerts to the ticketing system, and the
creation of a custom plugin that parsed the incoming mails and
automatically created a ticket for red alerts. The plugin was "smart"
enough so that when a recovery message arrived, it would auto-resolve
the initial ticket created from the first alert.

I am now looking again at integrating Hobbit with a ticketing system,
but this time with "Jira" (http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/).
Jira has a very useful API as well as an RCP/SOAP interface, so doing
something similar to what I did with RT should be relatively simple.

However, in going over the code in my head (I havn't written it yet), I
see a problem.  I believe that Hobbit is different from BB in that
recovery pages are not sent with an ID (and I think if you forced it
with a script the ID is "-1") which makes it impossible to relate them
to the origional alert.  Is there any simple way that we could have
access to this ID number, or does Hobbit simply not track it?

Otherwise I may have to do something like query hobbitboard and look for
a hostname.service that matches the resolved message, and I'd rather not
do that as it will just slow things down and add extra complexity.

-Charles