[hobbit] no graphs from mpstat

Hubbard, Greg L greg.hubbard at eds.com
Fri Jan 4 15:33:43 CET 2008

Bert,

If "rrd_data.pl" is an external processor, it does not send data to RRD
directly -- it simply emits the commands needed for the Hobbit process
to update the RRD.  Based on what you posted, I think you are on the
right track -- the rrd_data.pl script is not parsing the test data in
order to get data for multiple CPU's, so it is not issuing the proper
commands to update multiple RRD's.  I suspect that the person who wrote
this section of the script probably assumed there would only be one CPU
reported, or only the aggregate needed to be graphed.  Not a bad
assumption, but it is not working for you.

Since "rrd_data.pl" is a custom script, you will have to go back to the
person who wrote the script to get them to update it for you, or you
will need to update it yourself.  What you will need to do (in the
section that parses this test) is update the code to track multiple
CPU's and then have it loop through them to generate the RRD commands
for each CPU so the right RRD's are created/updated.  Then you need to
double check your Hobbit graph definition to make sure that it can
handle multiple CPU's as well.

Good luck!

GLH