[hobbit] Need info: National holidays

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 15:56:25 CET 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 2:00 PM, Henrik Stoerner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:
> One of the new things in Hobbit 4.3 is that it can handle alerts
> happening on holidays. These will also show up on the "info"
> column page.
>
> To make this easy, I need some information about the holidays in
> each country.
>
> I already have code to handle the Christian holidays (Easter, Whit
> Monday, Christmas) - e.g. these are the holidays I have listed in my
> "common" section for 2008:
>
>     New Year        01/01
>     Good Friday     21/03
>     Easter Monday   24/03
>     Ascension Day   01/05
>     Whit Monday     12/05
>     Christmas Eve   24/12
>     Christmas Day   25/12
>     New Year's Eve  31/12
>
> I also have specific entries for the US, Germany and Denmark - see
> http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit-cgi/viewconf.sh?holidays for the current
> configuration.
>
> So if you're from France, Italy, Australia, Japan or some other country
> and you would like to have Hobbit pre-loaded with your national
> holidays, send me a list of which days are holidays. If you can do it in
> the form of the configuration file it would be brilliant, but if not
> then just describe to me what days should be included.
>
> (Please post them to the list - and DONT send it if it has already
> been posted by someone else, thanks!)

Google calendar has a list of national holidays covering around 30
nationalities.

UK (information cross-checked with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Holiday)

### England and Wales

# New Year
New Year:type=static month=1 day=1
# Note that in the UK if this falls on a weekend then the next weekday
is usually a holiday.

# Christian Easter holidays
Good Friday:type=easter offset=-2
Easter Monday:type=easter offset=1

# Christian Christmas holidays
Christmas Eve:type=static month=12 day=24
Christmas Day:type=static month=12 day=25
# Note that in the UK if these days fall on a weekend then the next
weekday is usually a holiday.

# England and Wales
[uk-eng]
Daylight Savings Time:type=sun month=3 offset=5
May Day:type=mon month=5 offset=1
Spring Bank Holiday:type=mon month=5 offset=5
Summer Bank Holiday:type=mon month=5 offset=5
Standard Time:type=sun month=10 offset=5

### Scotland

# New Year
New Year:type=static month=1 day=1
2nd of January:type=static month=1 day=2
# Note that in the UK if these days fall on a weekend then the next
weekday is usually a holiday.

# Christian Easter holidays
Good Friday:type=easter offset=-2

# Christian Christmas holidays
Christmas Eve:type=static month=12 day=24
Christmas Day:type=static month=12 day=25
# Note that in the UK if these days fall on a weekend then the next
weekday is usually a holiday.

# Scotland
[uk-sco]
Daylight Savings Time:type=sun month=3 offset=5
May Day:type=mon month=5 offset=1
Spring Bank Holiday:type=mon month=5 offset=5
Summer Bank Holiday:type=mon month=5 offset=1
Standard Time:type=sun month=10 offset=5
St Andrews Day:type=static month=11 day=30
# NB - Gotcha time, it's on the Monday following the 30th of the 30th
is at the weekend

Given the flexibility of some of these it would be useful to be able
to say "next normal working day if a weekend", but cope with things
like Christmas/Boxing Day where both may be at the weekend.

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor