[hobbit] DNS resolution duration

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Feb 12 22:45:17 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 10:52:41AM -0500, Josh Luthman wrote:
> DNS lookups completed                    1202826251.058136          0.072268
>
> But now when there is a problem reaching the DNS server (I have two in
> /etc/resolv.conf) it spikes up to...
>
> DNS lookups completed                    1202825989.913910         40.001908
>
> Is there any way to set the DNS resolution timeout to something
> smaller?  Has anyone tried running bind9 on the Hobbit box itself and having
> it hold cache locally?

Hobbit does have a tendency of hitting DNS servers pretty hard. I would
definitely recommend using a local caching DNS server on your Hobbit
box. It is dead simple to setup, and it makes DNS lookups a lot faster
and more reliable.

As far as the timeouts are concerned, the bbtest-net(1) man-page lists
this option:

	--dns-timeout=N (default: 30 seconds)

This assumes you're using Hobbit's built-in resolver library, C-ARES. If
you're running bbtest-net with the --no-ares option, there is no way
Hobbit can control the DNS lookup settings.