[hobbit] Multiple graphs on one page

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Dec 30 23:10:55 CET 2008

In <A3D12FAD74FC8B46991703F40C182BABAB4677A1 at permls102.wde.woodside.com.au> "Everett, Vernon" <Vernon.Everett at woodside.com.au> writes:

>I have a single test pumping out a number of data metrics.
>Imagine this output (fictional, but representative of my problem)
>        Rusers=3D45
>        Users=3D104
>        Mqueue=3D32014
>        Rqueue=3D0
>        ReadPerSec=3D24035
>        OtherData=3D2128

>NCV plugs these values into an RRD file very nicely, but of course you plot=
> them on the same graphs, it becomes meaningless because of the scale.
>Users and Rusers looks like a flat line down in the weeds, and only Mqueue =
>and ReadPerSec have any real visibility.

You don't have to plot all data from an RRD in the same graph. E.g. the
"vmstat.rrd" files collect tons of data (around 20, if memory serves me right),
but there are several different graph-definitions that use this rrd-file to
display only a few of them.

>How can I display 2, or even 3 graphs on the same page with this data.
>One graph with Users and Rusers (Because they are in the similar scale rang=
>e)
>Another with Mqueue ad ReadPerSec and potentially Rqueue - again because of=
> a similar scale range.
>And if possible, a third graph for OtherData

You can only do this on the "trends" page; if you have a custom status column,
those status pages will only know how to show a single graph.

On the "trends" status, say you have a "mydata1", "mydata2" and "mydata3"
graphs defined in the hobbit-graphs.cfg file. Then you can put a
   TRENDS=*,mydata;mydata1|mydata2|mydata3
on the host definitions in bb-hosts, and the trends page will show those
three graphs one after the other. Note: The "GRAPHS" setting in hobbitserver.cfg
must have "mydata" listed as the graph, not "mydata1" (or 2 or 3).