[hobbit] client data compression

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Dec 16 23:37:46 CET 2008

>Josh Luthman wrote:
>> I may have missed something here...but is this compression done
>> already or is there a need to configure it?

>Not sure...

It's done, but only in the development version - neither 4.2.0
nor 4.2.2 has it. It was rather non-trivial to implement and in
a key-function in Hobbit; so adding it to the 4.2.x series was
out of the question.

It requires a new hobbitd daemon on the server side, and a new
"bb" utility at the client. Compression is not turned on by
default - you'll have to invoke "bb" as "bbz", or pass it the
"--compress" option.

>> Also, when was 4.2.0 release?  I'm using the 4.2.0 release at the
>> office currently and I'd like to know if the compression has been
>> active or not (since Henrik has included it since March, presumably
>> 2008).

>August 2006 says sourceforge :)
>http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=128058

Aug 10, 2006 to be exact.