[hobbit] Would xymon survive?

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Dec 12 18:48:04 CET 2008

In <494260DF.4050809 at lmco.com> michael nemeth <michael.nemeth at lmco.com> writes:

>One Sysadmin, expressed the worry that since xymon is basic a one
>programmer product what would happen if Henrik could no  longer
>support  it.   I  told them about  the  movement  for more than
>one programer to support it via the Subversion archive on Sourceforge,

> Still if Henrik was gone would some one support it?

I think it would, but as with all open-source projects it depends
on how much interest the community has in the software. If it's
good enough that people want to use it, then I believe that someone
will take over the task of maintaining it.

I know for a fact that several rather large companies are using
Hobbit/Xymon, so I believe there would be enough people interested
that it would survive even without me.

> Would Henrik company allow  outsider to maintain it.

They have zero influence on that decision. Hobbit/Xymon is my
project, the company I work for have no intellectual property
(or any other) rights to the software.

>As an aside I ran across a free product yesterday (don't remember what)
>that would sell a commercial license , that was basically a
>disclaimed for commpany that just HAD to have commercial licenses.
>Might not be a bad idea Henrik?

If someone asks, I am perfectly willing to sell them a commercial
license for Hobbit: It will be identical to the GNU GPL with the
added clause that they must pay me. In return they'll get the right
to use the software with all warranties disclaimed :-)

Seriously, there are companies that handle support for Open Source
projects. I've received an inquiry from a company called Open Logic
(www.openlogic.com) which does just that - they're looking for
people who would be willing to handle support of Hobbit. If any
of you are interested feel free to contact them. They pay you
per incident you solve. I don't think I'll join them, but that's
because I frankly have more than enough to fill up my 24h/day.
Note: I know nothing about the company, so don't take this as
an endorsement.