[hobbit] Status Not Available Resolution

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Tue Dec 9 09:43:54 CET 2008

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 09:51:47 Joe Shmow wrote:
> For anyone who is interested...heres what i ended up doing for it to
> finally work...
>
> Installed VM Fedora 7....
>
> Disabled the Firewall, SELinux, and Killed the IPTables
> (/etc/init.d/iptables stop)

It was probably the SELinux ...

> Yum Installed the following:
>
> RRDTool, RRDTool-Devel, OpenSSL-Devel, OpenLDAP-Devel, PCRE-Devel, Fping
> (although i didnt use it), and what seemed to fix everything was
> LIBPNG-DEVEL....!!! Not sure y,..but...

Without libpng-devel, your compilation would not have succeeded.

> I then was able to do a clean ./Configure of Xymon/Hobbit and installed it
> into /usr/local/xymon using the xymon user account and then GMAKED!! only
> when i ran gmake instead of make did it work in the end..once again, not
> sure y....then ran GMAKE INSTALL....instead of make install...

On almost every Linux distribution, GNU make is installed as 'make'. It's
mostly proprietary Unix that has a broken make, and installs GNU make as gmake

> Configured the apache file, started httpd, and then started hobbitd WITHOUT
> making any cfg changes...Worked like a charm...NO data was avaiulable rigt
> away but aftre 2 min, the client (bb server) appeared and clicking on the
> STATUS actually works now...

/me notes that 'urpmi hobbit;service hobbit start' is all that is required to
get Hobbit working on Mandriva ...

BTW, my packages for RHEL5 would probably have worked just fine for you with
much less effort ....