Route Question

Geoff Hallford geoff.hallford at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 19:41:19 CET 2008

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the route tag in bb-hosts "chains"? I am trying to
configure the route dependencies the best way possible. Would this work?

Example:
-----------------------------
Host is HostA and the path to HostA is RTR1,STCH2,RTR3.

bb-hosts Example (What I want to do):
-----------------------------
10.20.20.21 HOBBIT
10.20.20.20 RTR1
10.30.30.30 SWCH2 route:RTR1
10.40.40.40 RTR3 route:SWCH2
10.40.40.41 HostA route:RTR3

So that if say SWCH2 goes down, I won't get alerts for RTR3 or HostA
(because the dependency "chains" from RTR3, to SWCH2 ....

OR, do I have to do it like the following (whole path, each time):

bb-hosts Example (What I don't really want to do but should work no matter
what):
10.20.20.21 HOBBIT
10.20.20.20 RTR1
10.30.30.30 SWCH2 route:RTR1
10.40.40.40 RTR3 route:RTR1,SWCH2
10.40.40.41 HostA route:RTR1,SWCH2,RTR3

Thanks! I don't have a test network device to try this, which is why I am
asking.

Geoff Hallford

'Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.' --Yogi Berra