[hobbit] URL DNS Errors

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Aug 25 23:14:36 CEST 2008

In <00ca01c9039b$dddd1e80$7d6a28a8 at hhsea.txnet.state.tx.us> "James Wade" <jkwade at futurefrontiers.com> writes:

>I'm getting random DNS errors on URL's from Hobbit.
>There appears to be nothing wrong with DNS.
>
>This is causing pages on production systems, and I'm
>getting complaints from folks. I really need a work around
>for this.

Hobbit can hit DNS servers pretty hard, causing DNS lookups to
fail when they really should succeed. I always recommend that
you install a local caching DNS server for Hobbit, if you have
an installation with 100+ hosts.

Also, you could try running bbtest-net with the "--no-ares" option
to use the standard resolver library of your OS instead of Hobbit's
built-in DNS lookup code.