[hobbit] Problem building Hobbit on a Solaris 10 zone

John P Martin jmartin23 at csc.com
Thu Aug 14 16:23:51 CEST 2008

Hi,
Thanks to everyone who replied.  Sorry for the slow response - I locked
myself out of email for a couple of days.

To respond to the postings:

> It looks like permissions problems on the directories to me.[Jim Smith}
That's what I thought, but I went the whole "recursive 777" hog and it made
no difference.

> I will create a version of  hobbit server package for sparc... [T. J.
Yang]
That would be great - I could stop worrying :-)

> Is this a sparse root or a whole root zone? ... [Katherine Hosch].
It was originally sparse root, and I had the same thoughts,so I rebuilt the
zone as whole root.

> I have just reconfigured/recompiled Hobbit 4.2.0 within a Solaris 10
zone... (Intel) [Martin Ward]
Good to know - thanks.

> Since it looks like ./configure is complaining you could have a look in
~/hobbit-4.2.0/bbnet/c-ares/config.log file [Martin Ward]
I did have a look at this log file, and it didn't help me, but I have
extracted some of the information and added it below, in case that helps
anybody understand my problem.

> I have just built a test Hobbit server in a Solaris zone... (sparc)
[Vernon Everett]
Even better to know :-) - thanks

> isn't it possible for the local zones to lack packages that exist in the
global zone? [Ben August]
You're not that rusty - you are quite right.  However, in this instance I
believe all the packages from the global zone were successfully installed
in the non-global zone, apart from two relating to zone management (which
aren't meant to install in non-global zones because they aren't
appropriate).

Many thanks - this is an excellent mailing list.  Lots of quick responses,
and all relevant - superb.

Here is some of the information from the
~/hobbit-4.2.0/bbnet/c-ares/config.log file as suggested by Martin Ward.
It looks to me like a repeat of the error messages posted earlier, and I
can't see any more useful clues, but perhaps that's just me:

configure:2272: gcc --version </dev/null >&5
job-working-directory: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot
access parent directories: No such file or directory
gcc (GCC) 3.4.6

and so it repeats.

              Cheers,

                        John