[hobbit] CLIENT vs. NAME

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 20:44:59 CEST 2008

In our Hobbit configuration, we have hosts using every possible combination
of CLIENT, NAME, neither, and both.

In short, here is how it works:
(In the bb-hosts file)

IP HOSTNAME # CLIENT=HOSTNAME_ALIAS NAME=DISPLAY_NAME

* Without CLIENT or NAME, the machine displays as HOSTNAME on the Hobbit
webpage, and in monitor alerts.  All "bb" commands, alert rules, and monitor
rules (hobbit-clients.cfg) should refer to the machine as HOSTNAME
* With CLIENT, the machine displays as HOSTNAME on the Hobbit webpage and in
monitors alerts as above.  All rules should also refer to the machine as
HOSTNAME.  CLIENT is primarily to get rid of Ghost Client alerts.  (In your
case, this is what you would use)
* NAME only affects what the machine shows up as on the Hobbit webpage.
Looking at my Hobbit notifications log file, the alerts sent out still use
HOSTNAME as the name.
* With both CLIENT and NAME, both rules apply.

For your final question, no, as long as HOSTNAME doesn't change (which is
what Hobbit uses for the name internally), the old saved data won't be
lost.  If you want to change HOSTNAME, you should use the "rename" command
for the "bb" program (how to use this is listed in the man pages).