[Devmon] Devmon device support, Cross post between lists

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Tue Apr 22 11:35:55 CEST 2008

On Friday 18 April 2008 16:17:35 Chris Wopat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Chiming in on some info on Devmon. While primarily targeted to the
> Devmon list, it may be useful to hobbit/devmon users who don't subscribe
> to that list.
>
> The cisco-7206 template works perfectly fine on a Cisco 7500. I'm sure
> it works on a 7200 as well. I also have an old 7000 here, but I don't
> want to boot it up to test. Anyway, it may be in the best interest to
> rename 7206 to 7200, and just copy its templates to a 7500 folder, or
> genericly rename the whole thing cisco-7000.
>
> Also, there is a typo in the USING doc:
>
> http://devmon.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/devmon/trunk/docs/USING?revision=3
>&view=markup
>
> This line is listed:
> 	DEVMON:tests(cpu),thresh(cpu;CPUTotal5Min;y=50;r=90)
>
> But it should be:
> 	DEVMON:tests(cpu),thresh(cpu;CPUTotal5Min;y:50;r:90)

I've fixed this locally (I ran into it myself earlier but was too busy to fix
it). I'll commit it later.

> It's correct in the details furter down the page, but the equal symbols
> should be colons near the top when it first mentions thresh().
>
> Lastly, and this is very minor, Devmon doesn't properly detect
> administratively down interfaces in all cases. On one router, I am using
> subinterfaces as follows:
>
> GigabitEthernet0/2
> GigabitEthernet0/2.1
> GigabitEthernet0/2.2
> GigabitEthernet0/2.3
> ..etc..
>
> If I shut down Gi0/2, 'sh ip int br' shows its subinterfaces
> administratively down, but devmon doesn't detect that- one has to go
> into each subinterface and shut them down as well. It does appear that
> the OID that checks admin status (.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.7) does indeed say
> up, which is why it's showing red:
>
> ifAdminStatus.89 = INTEGER: up(1)

Right, so the router is lying to you. I would prefer not to workaround device
bugs in devmon itself. If you can, you should log a TAC case regarding this
(e.g. "Interface status reported via SNMP does not match the configured
status").

In the mean time you can work around it with exceptions in the bb-hosts file,
such as:

DEVMON:except(if_stat;ifName;na:Gi\d+/\d+\.\d+)

(which would ignore the if_status for all GigabitEthernet sub-interfaces, or
you could make it more specific if you want).

Regards,
Buchan